Finding the best primers for oily skin
I have been getting several queries to suggest people on what are the best primers for oily skin. Well, to begin with, there are several primers available in the market. Choosing the right primer is essential that fits in just right with your skin type. A good primer is going to give your makeup the support it needs for hours to go. If you are someone like me, you will always keep looking for products that add health and sheen to your skin. Primers are one of my favourite makeup products since it can either make your makeup look amazing or break it in no time. After all, a good primer is essential for a good base. To help you understand, I have a list of best primers for oily skin as well as combination and dry skin types that will save you the scouting.
Types of Primers
- Liquid foundation: Ideally suitable for all skin types (can be on with an aqueous or oily base).
- Oil-based: For women with dry to very dry skin, and more shine.
- Creamy base: For dry and combination skin.
- Water-based: Extremely light to use and transparent cover for all skin types (including oily or blemished skin).
- Mineral based: suitable for all skin types, good to use for sensitive skin.
- Matt: designed for oily skin or combination skin. The base build-up has a satin finish with absolutely no shine.
- Shiny: Glittering, shimmer particles that gives a dewy feel to your makeup.
- Invisible (less that 50% colour content): for adding brightness to your makeup, clear primers are the best.
- Clear: Smooth and light formula, just acts as a layer to hide pores and imperfections.
Best primers for oily skin and other skin types
1. Benefit POREfessional Matte Rescue Mattifying Gel
One of the best primers ever, Benefit POREfessional Matte Rescue Mattifying Gel is pretty much for everyone because it is not oily and protects your pores like a boss. A little on the higher side of the price range, but once you try this primer, you will be loyal to it forever.
2. E.l.f Studio Mineral Infused Face Primer
Especially developed to combat stubborn skin problems like excess oil, flaky dryness, enlarged pores and fine lines, E.l.f’s primer is an all-rounder primer for you. For all these real good pros, this primer is a budget friendly one too.
3. Smashbox Photo Finish Foundation Primer
A transparent, creamy gel primer and one of the best primers for oily skin, this Smashbox primer leaves your face with a smooth finish, making your skin look flawless. It is a great base product that makes your makeup look great throughout the day, keeping it strong and natural. Minimizes fine lines and wrinkles and conceals the enlarged pores. A great product for acne prone skin keeping the oil in control, giving a smooth finish.
4. Cover FX Mattifying Primer
I was recently introduced to this brand when my sister brought a couple products from Cover FX, one of which was its primer. I have been using this Cover FX primer especially for morning wedding makeup scenes in hot open weather. This is one rock solid product and one of the definite best primers for oily skin. I was so happy with its lightweight formula and let me tell you my makeup stuck around straight for 10 hours with no touch ups.
Available at Sephora stores or Sephora.nnnow.com
5. Shiseido Glow Enhancing Primer
Haven’t seen many using this brand of products but honestly, Shiseido definitely an underrated brand. This glow enhancing primer adds this lovely dewy sheen that shows through your makeup. Not to forget, this is a long lasting primer too.
Available at Sephora stores or Sephora.nnnow.com
6. Maybelline New York Baby Skin Instant Pore Eraser Primer
A great and cheaper alternative to the Benefit’s primer, the Maybelline New York Baby Skin Instant Pore Primer is indeed an excellent product. This clear gel primer is non-comedogenic, which eliminates the tendency toward breakouts. Also, this primer is fragrance free which is a big relief.
7. Colorbar New Perfect Match Primer
- Gives a satiny touch as this oil free primer masks the fine lines and uneven texture
- Makes your skin marvelously soft and smooth.
- Paraben free, safe for all skin type
8. Nyx Professional Makeup Studio Perfect Primer, Clear
A fantastic dupe of Smashbox Photo Finish Primer, the Nyx Professional Makeup Studio Perfect Primer comes is 4 colours but I personally love the clear one.
9. M.A.C Prep+Prime Fix
I do not use many M.A.C products but this is one spray I absolutely love and hence has made to our list of best primers for oily skin. This M.A.C Prep+Prime Fix Spray works both as a primer and a makeup fixing spray. I would recommend this highly.
Find this in M.A.C stores as well as nykaa.com
10. Wet & Wild Photo Focus Dewy Face Primer
Another cost-friendly alternative while looking for the best primers for oily skin, Wet & Wild Photo Focus Dewy Face Primer is a great choice if you are new to makeup. Works really well with all skin types.
11. Estee Lauder The Illuminator Radiant Perfecting Primer
Do not be deceived by its placement on the list, Estee Lauder’s Illuminator Radiant Perfecting Primer is absolute love. Sometimes when I am lazy, all I do is apply a little evenly on my face and the just conceal my dark circles and blemishes, and I am ready to go.
You can also find us on:
Stay stylish with Trendogue! Xoxo!